The weather really cooperated today and we did a little gardening and planning for future plantings. Now, though I don't like waiting for the planting season, I am also not a fan of starting seedlings. First, I don't want, nor do I have space for a little growing table with lights and stuff. Second, I don't have enough sunny rooms to allow for starting seedlings anymore. It used to be Ty's room, the windowsill worked great but we moved him into it in December. Between little boy fingers and the cat, we'd have an indoor garden very much like Judi Barrett's "Old MacDonald Had and Apartment House". Third, I have discovered in the past couple of years that our growing season is quite long and if something doesn't grow, I can try again or ... whatever, I will try next year. Finally, I like taking chances and believe that seeds inherently WANT to grow (especially in our warm and humid summers!) into nice plants.
So there, I throw a handful of seeds on my raised, layered beds and hope for the best. I told you, I am more of a spontaneous gardener ... Oh, I thought of another reason I don't start seeds indoors, I am not very successful at keeping them alive, I forget to water or thin them out or whatever. Lack of time might be a possibility. Who knows.
All that to say that for the 3rd year in a row, voluntary veggies are popping up all over the yard! Last year we had a pumpkin and a few tomato plants. This year so far, I have seen lots of little tomato seedling on the bed they occupied last year. Goodie, less seeds to plant and the joy of figuring out what kind of tomatoes will grow as well!
We did put some seeds down today: Colored cauliflower, broccoli, cat grass (oats really!), sweet pea flowers (my mom gave them to me as a gift 2 years ago and I am just getting around to plant them! Let's hope they take!), pot marigolds, cilantro, catnip and a different variety of dill.
![]() |
| Owen and Ty adding dirt to the pot before sowing the marigold seeds |
While surveying the garden, I also notice hope ... the promise of summer to come and was reminded of a couple of delicious pictures I took a few days ago
Yes ... the first strawberry bloom in our garden. The new side shoots are really spreading. These were 3 puny little strawberry plants bought last year on sale, they sure are stretching the boundaries of the bed they are in this year! I wonder what I need to do about that. Thoughts?








I love this children's book. I actually wrote a letter to the editor of the NYT a few years back when they were talking about vertical gardening in dense urban areas, suggesting that 'way back when (pub date is like 1960s or 70s, right?) Barrett was all over this idea. They didn't publish my letter, but they should have! Keep up the great posts!
ReplyDeleteThanks Gail! Too bad they didn't publish your letter ... it seems like a really valid gardening idea too!!
ReplyDelete