Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sick baby :(

Poor Ty ... it's basically 10AM and he's sleeping really loudly, snoring and bubbling on our big king bed. He was up a few times last night, he climbed in our bed around midnight and nestled himself between Pete and I all hot and hyper from the fever. He's been sick for what feels like a month and a half now. Mounette was still here when he got a moderate cold and cough which finally got better last week. Now, he's been sick since Tuesday afternoon and is miserable.
He finally woke up a few minutes after I started writing this. He looks a little better but still hot.
We still managed to get a LOT accomplished yesterday.
First I laid out a ton of fruit in the dehydrator


I made a 2nd batch of red play-doh for Owen's class. Ty had played with the first one and though we are a generous family and we love to share, germs are not part of our sharing list.

A major part of the day was spent in the kitchen with Ty who not only loves to cook but had no energy to spend more than a few minutes outside.
First, while Ty was taking a nap, I made a treat all of our family likes: Oatmeal, carrot and apple breakfast bars. Super nutritious and tasty baked good that's also pretty versatile. You can make bars or muffins out of them, have them as treats or as an on the go breakfast in the car. I got the recipe form Myra Goodman's book: "The Earthbound Cook". Here's the recipe if you're interested: Oatmeal, Carrot, and Apple Breakfast Squares


Once Ty woke up, he and I made a batch of bread dough. We added a bunch of seeds and other nutritious ingredients to the base, or "master" recipe from "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day"
I tweaked the recipe a little add simply added things I had in my pantry:


750gm whole wheat flour 
240gm unbleached all-purpose flour
13gm granulated yeast
20gm Kosher salt
35gm vital wheat gluten 
900gm lukewarm water (about 100 degrees F)

about 150gm (or a few sprinkles each of a mix of) crushed sesame seeds, crushed sunflower seeds, crushed flaxseed, toasted wheat germ, and oat bran. Whatever I could find really. I also kept about 2TSP to cover the bread with during cooking.

my sick little assistant :(

ingredients and tools needed
ingredients I added


Ty crushing the sunflower seeds


 So basically, put all the dry ingredients together in a large pan that has a lid (you'll need it later):

Add the luke warm water:


Stir until combined WITHOUT KNEADING and you obtain a wet dough.


Than let rise for about 2 hours with lid on but not closed all the way so gases can escape:

Here's what happens after 2 hours:
Once the dough has risen and slightly fallen back down a bit, you could use it but it really is a SUPER sticky mess. I refrigerate it overnight so I can use it in the AM.

We did manage to go out for a little while and plant our blueberry bushes ... 8 total of 4 different types ... which we hope won't get munched on by the deer but might most likely be trampled be the kids or run over while they ride their motorcycles in the yard ...


We also had a nice dinner:




So here we are ... today, the dehydrator finished doing its thing:

I placed 1/2 of the bread dough in a lightly greased loaf pan and let it rise for 1:30 hours and 30 minutes before the end of the rise time, I turned the oven onto 450.

Right before putting it in the oven, I put a little water on the top of the dough, sprinkled the rest of the seed mixture on it, slashed the top with a knife then covered it with foil (puffed up foil to leave space for the bread to rise)


Let it bake for 20 minutes covered then removed the foil and baked for 15 more minutes


until you get this:


No comments:

Post a Comment