Didn't have time to make the craft I wanted to make since the boys were more interested in helping Daddy out in the garage ... I dragged them to Trader Joe's nonetheless.
One thing I did today was to make butter! It was a little fun experiment I had set for myself after ordering the cream from the farm last week. It was incredibly easy and though I had originally planned on involving the boys (a lot of shaking of the cream is involved), I decided to use Mama's White Machine (KitchenAid mixer) to do the deed. Owen and Ty couldn't be pried off the tool bench and apparently Daddy needed help changing his rear tire before the race tomorrow.
Anyways, I started off with the thick, heavy cream. Kept a bit on the side ... I had "sweet" plans for that batch.
| the whipping begins |
| just past the whipped cream stage |
| starting to really separate and form little butter lumps |
| here's the butter and buttermilk at the bottom of the bowl |
Then I rinsed the butter in ice water to get rid of the last little bit of buttermilk. Apparently it goes sour rather fast if you skip that step.
| buttermilk on the left and butter rinsing on the right |
Here is the result after I added a bit of salt ... I LOVE salted butter. It's the french, and particularly the "Breton" side of me that requires salt in my butter.
As for the left over heavy cream?
| hmmm strawberries and whipped cream! |
La première fois que nous avons fait du beurre c'était un accident. Je voulais juste une crème fouettée, je l'ai mise au robot quand tout à coup Louis a hurlé, il s'était blessé, le temps de le consoler... ma crème qui continuer à tourner était devenue du beurre, il n'y avait plus qu'à rincer et saler.
ReplyDeleteEt alors Mathilde, tu las aime ton beurre fait maison???
ReplyDelete