Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Garden fence is 90% done!

We worked hard putting up the fence today. It looks really good though it is missing a post.
from the side
from the deck
strawberries hangin' out
And here is another proof that buying seeds isn't always worth it:
This is the tomato and zucchini action going on in the old compost pile ...
Thinning the salad table this evening turned into a delicious micro-greens salad
mostly thinned out
very much delicious

We also had a visit from a wonderful neighbor this afternoon. I had seen he and his wife walk by our house and asked them if they had a pond in their yard (no) because I was still looking to rescue some tadpoles. He knocked at our door and gave us a robin's egg that he found during his walk. it was on the ground next to another broken egg. He didn't seem to know about the legalities of removing a wild bird egg or the natural selection in it. Who knows if I could have helped but pick it up myself? Either way, I took it and Owen kept it warm in his little hands while I was fabricating a home with a light to incubate it ... while thinking about the different ways to tell the boys this probably wouldn't work.
We placed the little egg in his new home but before the day was over I managed to thoroughly inspect it and discovered a long, thin crack all around the thickest part of it. I was able to let the boys know that the egg wouldn't make it, showed the crack to them and as I did, the tiny damaged shell broke for good. A lesson in natural selection followed and a few hours after that we saw a crow fly by with a robin's egg in its beak. Another lesson about predator and prey relationship ensued. Ah ... the fragility and wonder of life ...




No comments:

Post a Comment