Sunday, April 17, 2011

Warding off cabin fever

So I took the boys to Brookside this afternoon, as I had planned, so Pete could get a nap. That was not the greatest decision I have made lately. The boys did manage to have some fun but it was very rough for Owen. His energy level is so low right now and he's not used to that so he acts as he normally would and crashes quite fast.
We spent a bit of time on our own learning about rain gardens today, floating petals on the dark waters of Brookside's fountains, planting lettuces, a tomato and pepper plant as well as a couple of pumpkin seeds to take home.
I am glad I was able to capture a few moments of the day where Owen was able to enjoy himself and let it show

tired but happy at times
happy in the hollowed out tree trunk and floating petals
petals, leaves, river birch bark and learning about rain gardens
The beautiful colors of Brookside Gardens in the spring time
lettuces and hollow tree
Owen got tired fast ... well, for him that is. I could tell he was starting to get a little hot again so I gave him something for that and 20 minutes later, he was happily helping me in the garden. We are currently working on "his" garden. I keep saying "the boys' garden" but it's truly his ideas and what he wants to plant more than Ty.

Owen's tomato plant and pumpkin seed as well as Ty's pepper plant and pumpkin seed
I was requested to move the small lettuces to the salad table. Good thing I kept a free spot!
In the last couple of days we got rid of all the pachysandra on the side of the house ... which also happen to hide a few sneaky poison ivy vines. We tilled the soil to prep for the garden. It looked like this last august ... what a mess:

Here it is today:



Better, no?
I built a little trellis for cucumbers or whatever climbing crop Owen might wanna grow. I had leftover bamboo poles from making the marble runs for school so I used that and some twine


I sure hope Owen starts to feel better so I can see those faces more in the next few days

2 comments:

  1. Owen looks thinner! Did he lose weight through this ordeal...? After Henry had his tonsils and adenoids out this fall, he lost a bunch of weight and I can barely stand to look at the pictures of him from that time. Poor monkeys... I hope Owen continues to feel better, and that you say in August - what virus? oh yeah, I'd forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh Gail, he's already not very thick to start with but he might have lost a bit of weight indeed. I think Ty is catching up ... about 6 lbs away I think!
    As for the garden, I am about to write a bit about it :)

    ReplyDelete