Monday, May 23, 2011

Garden update

First, on Friday The boys and I spent close to 2 hours weeding and mulching the veggie garden beds with straw. We still need to weed the aisles a bit more and add mulch. Everything is growing well.


On Saturday AM, one of the 2 remaining cardinal eggs hatched. I was checking the blueberry bushes (which we need to mulch as well) and noticed it



Yesterday, I spent 3 1/2 hours weeding and started mulching the boys veggie patch. The "speekeetoes" as Ty calls them, were nuts!! I got bit from all angles. I went inside and made a quick batch of essential oil bug spray. I never heard form them after that. Anyway, I was able to tell the new little corn seedlings form the grass and weeds and they are now happy, growing with a bit of oat/cat grass, broccoli and pumpkins.


In the above picture, if you look past the little dogwood, there is an insane amount of weeds but we really worked hard yesterday. Though it hasn't been mulched yet, we were still able to thin the tomato plants, the pumpkin or gourds (or whatever these volunteer hollow fruit vines will become) and cucumbers out ... and the squashes are growing as well!

My mulching and weeding helper
From the top of the gravel path ... much better huh?
tomatoes and 1 pepper plus the cucumber trellis
tomatoes and squashes

tomatoes, cucumbers and pumpkins
Got another bale of straw at Home Depot today ... and treated myself to a pitchfork! Who would have ever guessed that buying such a tool would be a "treat"!! Ha! Compost turning and mulch spreading, here I coooooooommmme!

No comments:

Post a Comment