Tuesday, May 10, 2011

2 eggs and a yellow jacket's nest

Today, while Pete and the boys were mowing the back yard, I peeked at the cardinal's nest. Mama laid a second egg!!


And every year, a wasp decides it would be a swell idea to build a nest in our grill. It's the second time this year already that I shoo the queen out of her castle but this time, she had already laid a bunch of tiny yellow eggs and had begun the process of providing a bit of gooey nectar to each egg. I can only assume  that it's also to trap the dead insects that will be the lavae's food until it becomes a worker wasp. Either way, she was well on her way to fill in the cells of the small, walnut sized nest. Needless to say that I used the past tense for a reason.

small but perfectly geometrical
Can you see the shiny goo in the cells?
Pete and I sat on the deck this evening waiting for bats. None came out of the bat box but we certainly saw a few flying above the house and the back yard. Let's hope they decide that our bat box is worth living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment