Friday, September 14, 2012

kids love unusual pets ...

and so do I. As part of my volunteering as a master naturalist, I decided to be in charge of the critter care. ANS as a few critters indeed. What do I do with them? I feed them, make sure their habitat is clean and free of scat, I bathe Boris every week and take him for a "walk" in the meadow. Other ANS staff take care of Boris as well so he is a happy camper.

First, this is where I get to spend some time ... not too shabby eh?




We actually are getting 2 more critters as of last night and I can't wait to meet them. Here are some of them so far.

Here's Boris. He's a russian tortoise. I took him out for a walk in the grass but all he wanted to do was eat it:



2 of the 3 male Madagascar hissing cockroaches. They share Ms Pam and Ms Beth's office at the Mansion with Boris:



 Down at the Teale Center (where Ty goes to preschool) live 2 girls (well, I found the 3rd one on her back, dead, yesterday AM ... so we have 2 left):



And this is Sam. He is an old, grouchy black rat snake. Doesn't much enjoy people on his turf and isn't afraid to let you know about that. 


So we are getting 2 new corn snakes. They are very docile and easy to handle. I can't wait to see them on Monday. There is something special about handling a snake ...

No comments:

Post a Comment