When I went to class Friday AM, all Ty was talking about was "break-boarding". The thing is, he also had it in his head that he was going to break a board using a side kick. The Tiny Tiger program he is in doesn't teach side kicks. They lear 3 basics: front punch, back punch and front kick. Now remember, my son has a mind of his own, he LOVES the martial art he's been learning multiple times a week for over a year and he is a sponge. He watches my muay thai class, he watches Owen and I in our junior taekwondo class, he stares at the advanced belts going through their weapons forms, practices at home, before and after class. It's never ending.
So what's a boy like that to do when he feels ready to learn more? Teach himself of course!! With the help of little friends in higher classes he taught himself how to do a side kick and a round kick. By watching us practice in class, he taught himself the 360 round kick (which he originally called the 11 screw ... long story involving numbers and Master Lee's own amazing corkscrew)
He didn't ask Mr Josh if he could do a side kick during board breaking class that morning, it was a statement. He knew it, it was gonna happen. I was laughing and also a little sad thinking about the fact that he probably wasn't going to get his wish. As I said, Tiny Tigers don't do side kicks. Either way, we took the boys to class that evening and they had a blast.
Owen went first with the rest of the future black belt champions:
Ty went last in the Tiny Tiger and Little Dragon class. He had time to chat with his friend Isa and then he performed ... like a boss ... never dropping his hands ...
Practicing his stomp!
Break!
And then ... Ty got his wish. Mr Josh said "Are you ready for your side kick now??" Oh man, was he!
I couldn't believe Mr Josh remembered and offered it but that's another reason why I love BBMAC and the awesome instructors who work there. They actually listen to the kids, honor them and never tell them they can't accomplish something they have set out to do.
YEAH!
No comments:
Post a Comment